So, remember how I bribed my daughter so she’d be born before I had to get induced? Well, here are the results of the sparkly Halloween costume I promised her ~ a mermaid!
Now, I realize it’s kind of nuts to DIY a halloween costume the week after giving birth. I fully believe in having time to bond with the baby, get the family settled and give my body time to heal before I jump back into ‘regular’ life (although now that I’m a SAHM, I’m not sure how realistic that is). I know a lot of people go back to work and start training for marathons the day they leave the hospital, but that’s just not me. So it felt somehow wrong to make a Halloween costume for a ten-day-old baby. But a deal is a deal, and I couldn’t bail on this one. I mean, how bad would that be to not go through with the first deal I make with my own daughter?
And it’s not like this was difficult to do. All it took was a mad dash though Joann’s a few days after she was born for some shimmer tulle (one yard each of three colors) and some elastic sequin trim. The baby stayed in the car with my hubby while I ran into the store. And then I foraged through my craft stuff for anything else I needed, which ended up being a square of felt, a rubber band, a needle and thread and a rhinestone button.
I began by making the skirt by following directions for a tutu (like this one except that I cut my own strips of tulle), but I made mine long enough that it would go past her legs and then some. I tied it a little past her feet with a rubber band, and then I put trim around the waist and around the rubber band, barely stitching it in place by hand.
I then placed my square of felt (the ones that are like 39 cents in the kids craft area at Wal-Mart – nothing fancy here) over a long-sleeved onesie and cut it to fit in a bodice-like shape so that it wrapped around just a bit past the sides. I used some leftover tulle to make the bandeau top, and added a bit of sequin trim. I glued the tulle to the felt and then hand-stitched the felt to the onesie so that I can use it again.
For the headband, I measured out how much sequin trim I needed and glued the ends together. Then I made three yoyos with two layers of tulle each so they’d be full. I sewed them on and sewed a rhinestone button on the center one because every infant mermaid headband needs bling. I should have done some sort of pearl to go with the mermaid/ocean theme, but I used what I had on hand.
This project is super easy. I think it probably took about 45 minutes, and that’s because I hand-stitched a lot of it so that I can reuse the materials later. I was able to easily do it between feedings here and there over a couple of days, despite being in that post-partum recovery/newborn adjustment time.